SWELL-South and West Essex Local League
an individual league which is run by Havering and South Essex (HAVOC) and Chigwell and Epping Forest (CHIG) orienteering clubs with Essex Stragglers Orienteering Society (SOS) hosting one or two events a season.
There are eight to ten events held on either a Saturday or Sunday between September and June each season. The league is open to everyone. By virtue of taking part in a SWELL event you automatically qualify for the league, you do not need to register for the league.
As a minimum, White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Green and Blue courses are offered and normally a Short Green. At some events a Very Short Green, Brown and even Black may be offered and possibly Short Blue and Short Brown.
2021/22 League events
SWELL Point Scoring Rules
- Juniors score up to 100 points according to finishing position on White, Yellow, Orange and Light Green courses.
- Recommended junior courses are White (School Years 3-6), Yellow (Years 7 & 8), Orange (Years 9 & 10) and Light Green (Years 11-13).
- Juniors running down a course score 50% points, 2 courses 25% points, etc.
- Juniors competing as a pair each score 50% points; juniors score 10 points if with an adult.
- Adults on White to Light Green courses score up to 50 points according to finishing position.
- Adults on Green, Blue and Brown courses (as well as Black if offered) score up to 100 points according to finishing position.
- Disqualified competitors score 10 points.
- Adult league takes into account points scored on all courses.
- Points scored on short courses are combined with those scored on the longer colour (e.g. Short Green is added to Green). Points scored on any Black course are combined with the Brown.
- Points scored on "adult courses", courses above Light Green,are combined and shown as the Adult League.
Orienteering means maps, forests and adventure. You can walk, jog or run and choosing your route to the red and white markers is fun. It does not matter how old, young or fit you are - you go at your own pace. If you like excitement, fresh air and exploring the countryside then Orienteering is the sport for you.
Orienteering can best be described as competitive navigation on foot. You find your way around a course going from point to point using a specially drawn large scale map and a compass. No expensive kit is needed - just sensible outdoor clothes (long trousers are compulsory at most events), a good pair of trainers, a red pen, a clear polythene bag to put the map in and a whistle for safety.
Getting started is easy. Each league event has a minimum of 5 courses. If you are new to the sport, you can start with the beginners courses of about 3 kilometres (white and yellow), and when you get more confident, you can move up to the intermediate courses of about 4 kilometres (orange and light green). In addition, there is a longer course of about 5 kilometres (blue), aimed at experienced orienteers.
All events have Registration from 10am until at least 11am. Starts normally will be from 10.30 until 11.30 (12.30 on Sundays). Courses close at 1pm on Saturdays and 2pm or later on Sundays.
All events will have courses suitable for beginners, improvers and experienced orienteers.
(A minimum of colour coded standard White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green and Blue courses will be on offer at each event.)
There will be help and advice for beginners at every event. (Please contact the Co-ordinator if you wish to bring a large group so that we can make arrangements to give you extra help with Registration and allocating Courses and Start times etc.)
Saturday events: Seniors: approximately £7 Juniors: £3
Sunday events: Seniors: approximately £8 Juniors: £3
The events on Sundays are larger events, with a wider range of courses and normally a larger map.
All events normally use electronic punching (SI). There will be an additional charge of £1 to hire an electronic punching “dibber” if you do not own one.
NB Essex County Council levies a car parking fee.
Unless otherwise stated dogs are welcome at these events, but must be under strict control at all times, both in the Registration area and in the competition area.
HAVOC’s website is at www.orienteering-havoc.co.uk
CHIG’s website is at www.chig.org.uk
The SWELL coordinator, Dale Bennett, can be contacted via email@example.com